Making a wooden frame for a Bee hive – Beekeeping Tutorial

Feb/10

A detailed beekeeping tutorial on how to construct a wooden commercial frame with wax foundation for use in a honey bee hive by beekeepers. Also, how to use a plastic frame. From www.cornwallhoney.co.uk

1. Parent33w
    3:28 pm on February 15th, 2010

sweet (no pun intended) video. Nice explanation and illustration.

2. nousernameideasleft
    3:41 pm on February 15th, 2010

Can anyone help give a comparison of plastic to wood frames so I can tell which would be easier or cheaper.

3. ringadingadan
    4:28 pm on February 15th, 2010

No, the foundations are not reused. They are simply printed wax that ensure the bees produce comb on frames that allow us beekeepers to manage them. Otherwise you would have your twisty old set-up that bees do in nature. Interestingly, the cells are all exact but the combs can twist and turn. Once the foundation comb is built up, the brood chambers will stay until the beekeeper moves the queen to new comb. Often this is comb built up for honey harvest that is clear of pollen, reused from prev yr

4. Minstrelcraft
    4:31 pm on February 15th, 2010

So, after you harvest the honey, are the foundations re-used? If so, what’s the procedure? Please advise. Thanks!

5. Sprauge99
    4:36 pm on February 15th, 2010

HEHEHEHE,i can build my own “Hives” and “Frames” from “Raw” Lumber,ain’t it cool?.I can build an entire “BeeHive”-,bottom Board, Hive Body,Frame’s(All 10),Inner and Metal Outer Cover in about 3 Days. :-)

6. Fentanyl3
    5:29 pm on February 15th, 2010

Thirdly, you can go to meetings (local BKA) and there will be plenty of people that can tell you of places you can put them out in the country. Other beeks may allow you to use their property. You can even find national and state parks that will allow you to place them with a few regulations. don’t give up easily you have rights just as she.

7. Fentanyl3
    5:50 pm on February 15th, 2010

Secondly, it’s not typically as easy as you think to make someone remove a hive. it’s also hard to make a sting lawsuit stick. She’ll have to actually prove it was your bee, and that you acted in neglect before you are libel. BUT, if they are crossing you line onto hers to get water it can make things easier for her, so do everything you can to garuntee she see’s them flying on her property as litle as possible. Give them water etc.

8. Fentanyl3
    6:50 pm on February 15th, 2010

Give her lots of information about them, show her the tons of videos that proove that as a rule honey bee’s are a docile creature and will only sting when forced to. Only work the hive when your neighbors are not at home and won’t be ho,e for some time. explain to her that as neighbors it’s best you get along, because you can make trouble for her just as they can you

9. james10324
    7:46 pm on February 15th, 2010

Foundation is basically a sheet of beeswax with small hexagonal cells embossed onto it. It acts as a template for the bees to draw out their comb but in a controlled place (in the frames) so the hive is easy to inspect. You can buy it from a shop or make it yourself using (quite expensive) devices purposely made for the job. It is extremely difficult for you to make it without one of these devices because the hexagons have to be an exact size otherwise the bees will not accept it.

10. james10324
    8:37 pm on February 15th, 2010

I would recommend buying it ready-made from a shop as you have to have quite a lot of beeswax available to be able to make it yourself, and unless you have a large amount of hives it probably works out more cost effective and more reliable.

11. gamerboi777
    8:52 pm on February 15th, 2010

what is the FOUNDATION made of? is it plywood? pressed wood? what kind of material is it? what is the best material to use?

12. DaveIsParamount
    9:08 pm on February 15th, 2010

I know it’s not illegal to keep bees and i know they don’t crow in the morning, my point was that all she has to do is complain once, even if not true (something she does), and i’ll be getting a knock at the door telling me to remove them, which is why instead I was asking for advice on how best to convince the anti’s rather than risk conflict with them. There are no ‘local laws’ regarding beekeeping, just guidelines that say if someone reports them as a nuisance they have to go.

13. ryer9000
    9:40 pm on February 15th, 2010

Just check your local laws for beekeeping. Then just follow them. It’s not illegal to keep bees. If you make sure a fence is around your bees it forces them to fly up and out of every ones way. Bees also don’t crow in the mourning so she can’t complain about that.

14. lambutan82
    10:25 pm on February 15th, 2010

Whether you intended it or not, your neighbour is uncompromisingly cancerous. Prejudice is possible which leaves you little alternative as one sting from your bees makes you liable to be sued/evicted.
    If its just one person(her), you might get away with proper documents. If its your entire neighbourhood, you’re screwed – find a new hobby.

15. Bass60thrar
    10:58 pm on February 15th, 2010

Davels:
    First, checked with local government to make sure the bees are ok in your area. Next, I keep my hive in an isolated part of the backyard (I have a one acre yard in Ohio-USA), this allow for the bee’s main “flight path” to be over my property. Some people plant bushes several feet out in front of the hive to force the bees “up” as they fly out. When I harvest the honey in the early fall I always give some to my immediate neighbors to build goodwill.
    Good luck.

16. nmh1962
    11:10 pm on February 15th, 2010

Here in the UK, I believe that there’s little legislation regarding the keeping of bees (I’m just starting out myself). However, if they became a nuisance, then your neighbour would have a legitimate complaint against you. My advice would be to contact your nearest Beekeeping Association, even the local council, for guidance.

17. DaveIsParamount
    11:50 pm on February 15th, 2010

I am just beginning my bee journey, unfortunately one neighbour has already made clear that she does not approve, any ideas on how to convince her? I’ve tried to explain bee behaviour and made obvious that she likes honey and would be getting some for free, but she insists that if I get my hive that she will ‘report me’… To whom i’m not sure. It’s a little annoying though as these are the same people that made me remove my cockerel. Any advice?

18. sophiajunie
    12:46 am on February 16th, 2010

Thanks so much! First time frame builder needing some guidance. I don’t care for the plastic frames, there is something about the smell of the wax and the wood that just goes together. Bee well! Maria.