Beekeeping – Oxalic Acid Treatment

21
Feb/10
8


This is my first attempt to do an Oxalic Acid Treatment. Oxalic acid is used to bleach wood and is not approved for mite treatment in the US. So I would never recomend it.... I will say that a side affect of this bleach treatment is that it did kill hundreds of mites. This method of vaporising is prefered over the trickle method because it can be done more than once a season with out causing ill effects to the bees. oxalic acid is a natural organic compound andleaves no toxic residue biuld up in the hive unlike other mitricides.

Comments (8) Trackbacks (0)
  1. oneyaker
    3:38 pm on February 21st, 2010

    Really? Then stop eating spinach or rhubarb and any number of vegetables because they are full of oxalic acid. The poison is in the does. You can die of water over hydration too. Oxalic acid is ingested all the time in many vegetables so your generalization about “ingestion causes kidney damage” is just nonsense.

  2. spartaeus
    4:22 pm on February 21st, 2010

    Be very careful with oxalic acid. Ingestion in humans causes severe kidney damage.

  3. jakef450
    4:29 pm on February 21st, 2010

    great video where did you find your information
    thanks

  4. fotohogger
    5:09 pm on February 21st, 2010

    Thanks for video about Oxalic Acid.This sounds like a better option if I should ever need to treat. I will read more about this as I also do not want a bunch of chemical and mitricide residues in my beehives. I have been using essential oils in syrup, patties, & grease roll at entrance to keep bees healthy. Also GardStar ground drenches all around hives. So far they are doing well. 2nd year.

  5. chawoosemothergoose
    6:02 pm on February 21st, 2010

    i would suggest trying to have some sort of positive pressure blowing the vapour into the bottom entrance that way the acid will rise and spread more thoroughly through the hive

  6. ninja2134
    6:53 pm on February 21st, 2010

    Also unlike mitricides the mites can’t build up immunity to it, so I am not adding to the problem of creating resistant strains of mites. I didn’t have a single bee die from the treatment as far as I could tell and from what I understand it is not harmful to the bees.

  7. ninja2134
    7:40 pm on February 21st, 2010

    I did a powdered sugar shake test prior to treating and determined that the varroa levels were way to high.

    I also tried the powdered sugar dusting treatment first but it didn’t reduce the mite levels enough. So having done all that I could without using chemical or mitricidal intervention, I did research on my options. The oxalic acid option seemed the least toxic of all possibilities. Unlike many of the commercially available mitricides it leaves no toxic residue to build up in the hive.

  8. bdrowe
    7:52 pm on February 21st, 2010

    Good video. But isn’t that a little harsh on the bees. Did you test to see how bad your hive was infected. Try using IPM.

Leave a comment

No trackbacks yet.