Beekeeping – Lighting a Bee Smoker

Mar/10

This short video is for new beekeepers and demonstrates the types of fuels and the procedure to light a bee smoker.

1. warre78
    3:04 am on March 5th, 2010

I use the dryed fruits of the ‘Rhus typhina’ … i pick them in january / february … after litting the smoker with a newspaper i pop a few of them in the can and it lasts a good time … just saying : )

2. steelescotland
    3:37 am on March 5th, 2010

Is there a high incidence of lung cancer in Beekeeping ? By the looks of all that smoke it cant be good for you.

3. accountabilabuddy1
    3:40 am on March 5th, 2010

Now that’s some smoke! I’m using pine needles, and animal bedding (clean) also made from pine.

4. cornwallav8r
    4:39 am on March 5th, 2010

Second that! I keep my propane torch handy, since I ran out of burlap! Leaves do not work so well. I did the soup can mod, adding a can inside a can mod, and it only helped marginally. No replacement for the right fuel.

5. bigbeehoney
    4:58 am on March 5th, 2010

Hi folks,

Lighting a smoker is often a big pain in the neck…it often starts then promptly goes out when it is needed! I now use pine shavings that I collect when I plane a piece of wood. I was using rolled up cardboard but it often lit then went out…I got frustrated one time and through it on the ground as I figure it wasn’t lit only to have it start a bloody grass fire and burn my little storage trailer that I used to store beekeeping equipment…shit!!!

6. Kevin Braun
    3:36 pm on March 5th, 2010

I don’t think there is any statistic to show high incidence of lung cancer in beekeepers – In fact I remember reading a couple of days ago that incidence of cancer in beekeepers in general is very low – I don’t remember where I read it – Anyways they have not figured out why but they think it is something to do with bees – and are researching.