BEEKEEPING…BEE HIVE Setup & Making Frames

Sep/10

Beehive set up. How I do it in SE Qld. as a passionate part-time beekeeper for over 20 yrs.

1. mugsyjeff
    4:30 pm on September 13th, 2010

@justkarmatoo Thanks for that Mr.K. We don’t have veroa or nosema yet. I don’t use any chemicals, so I guess my honey’s organic, but I don’t call it organic. I just googled top bar hives. I don’t know how they separate the queen from the honey section. You could use a langstroth hive for top bar also, using half supers. Your neighbors look far enough away for you to keep bees. Two things to remember, 1.swarm control & 2. bees are attracted to lights at night, when positioning entrance. thks, bye

2. justkarmatoo
    4:46 pm on September 13th, 2010

Very interesting. I thought Australia didn’t have the disease problems of the rest of the world making organic honey easier to produce. Is that true Jeff? Also, what do you think of the top bar hive? One more Question if you don’t mind. How far away from the neighbors should a hive be in order keep the peace? You can tell I have kicked around the idea of setting up a hive. Maybe placed on the side of the house next to some succulants where I have some rock and roof tile stored now. Thanks

3. mugsyjeff
    5:07 pm on September 13th, 2010

@TheVittleVlog Thanks Rick, You never know, you might decide to take it up some time in the future. Anyway, cheers for now.

4. mugsyjeff
    5:28 pm on September 13th, 2010

@pinetar100 Thanks Joe, It’s a great hobby. Keep in touch. cheers

5. pinetar100
    5:44 pm on September 13th, 2010

nice video .looking in to myself

6. TheVittleVlog
    6:25 pm on September 13th, 2010

Interesting vid!!

7. mugsyjeff
    7:18 pm on September 13th, 2010

@outofworkbum Thanks CJ. Whenever the AFB rears it’s ugly head, I’d have to burn the plastic frames or send them off to be irradiated. I just keep using these wooden ones over & over. I haven’t bought any new frames for about 15 yrs. I haven’t made any frames for rounds, I assume you mean for producing h’comb. I just let the bees make new comb for h’comb, then I cut it out of the frames. This has been a bad year for AFB, in my case, we had a long period of rain which, I believe didn’t help. bye.

8. outofworkbum
    7:36 pm on September 13th, 2010

very nice, most people around here use the plastic frames, but I would like to make some wooden ones. also have you ever made the frames to make rounds?