Beekeeping 101 – Swarm Traps and Bait Hives

May/10

The biology after bees swarm and the methods used to capture wild swarms using bait hives. Bait hives need to be about 30 liters in volume. That is about 10"x9"x20" which also will fit a standard frame.

1. green2lean
    10:22 pm on May 29th, 2010

@SKeene1956, I don’t want to speak for BlueSky but I think your mistake was over dramatizing your point. You said the “death of mankind” which is too extreme. There is some truth for what you said though in the sense that the world is overpopulated to some extent so we need more bees now than we did when North America did not have honey bees. Without bees we would have a challenge to continue feeding the current population.

2. rockyPants4000
    11:15 pm on May 29th, 2010

great detail, thanks!

3. johnycl
    11:58 pm on May 29th, 2010

Thank you for the info. It is May and I have not been able to find queens for sale. This will be my solution. I would love to know what you were saying when the sound was down about 3/4s into the vid. How did you learn so much about beekeeping?

4. BadWolfMedia

Another great video

7. fuzzy188
    2:13 am on May 30th, 2010

I am going to have 2 beehives

8. SKeene1956
    2:45 am on May 30th, 2010

Thank you for the fast response and I was misinformed by other “Bee buisnesses” who are undoubtably hyping the situation and thank you for the insight and the bait. I would very much like to be able to build my own hive box and I would assume one thing unless you correct me. It would be best to use wood that has not been chemically treated? Thank you for your response.

9. OutOfaBlueSky
    3:40 am on May 30th, 2010

First, no bees doesn’t mean death of mankind. That is a myth. Man was was around for thousands of years in North America without bees. They are an invasive species in America introduced in the 1600s and we would survive again without them if we had to.

On the bait, use Lemon Grass Oil or rub the inside of the hive with lemon grass, itself.

10. SKeene1956
    3:54 am on May 30th, 2010

Thank you for the video as we need these miracles of flight. No bees means no food. No food = death of mankind in 4 years. Good information and what are the contents of the cone hives and can it be made by a person with local materials? The bait I mean.

11. OutOfaBlueSky
    4:07 am on May 30th, 2010

Yea, winter started last week, it should be over by Friday. :0)

12. thecommandobear2
    4:15 am on May 30th, 2010

happy new year outofabluesky, as for sandles and shirt in winter very jealous as we have a load of snow and it was minus 6c recently, speak and watch you soon pete

13. vitimind
    4:22 am on May 30th, 2010

Howdy from Houston! Lots of information! True Texans wears sandals in the middle of winter! Ha, ha. I hope you really bait a swarm! I hope I do too! Thanks for info.